Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Ventures - Swamp Rock

I'm back from vacation and ready to take on some more records. It's a massive task. I just realized that not only do I have that whole record shelving unit to go though, but there's a bunch more in one of John's closets and in a record cabinet that haven't been "rotated into" the general population yet. I'd better get crackin'.

Tonight's record, The Ventures. Like most of these records I've been pulling out, I can't say I know all that much about The Ventures. But, being all instrumentals and being a group that has been around for so long, I wonder how many personnel changes there have been.



This record had to have been released around the late 60's, I would guess. I've never been a fan of "Swamp Rock" myself. Never cared for CCR, and I HATE "Honky Tonk Woman" by the Stones. (I know, I know. Terrible, right?) I don't like "Brown Sugar" either. Go figure. Not my sound.



Track Listing:

Side A:
Carry Me Back
Honky Tonk Woman
Muddy Mississippi Line
Jambalaya
Swamp Rock
Niki Hoeky

Side B:
Green River
Suspicious Minds
Catfish Mud Dance
Proud Mary
Gumbo
Plaquemines Parish

Overall, this isn't an album I'd probably listen to again. The Ventures are pros, of course, but it's just not for me. I do like, however, that they covered "Suspicious Minds", one of my very favorite Elvis tunes.

I give it two and one half stars.

John?

Where did you buy this record and when?

"It was before I was working at Izzy's...so probably '94 or '95. It's cool to see Izzy's handwriting again..."




Do you own it in any other format?

"No"

What is your over-all impression of this album?

"It's not one of my favorite Ventures albums. This is probably the first time I've listened to it since I bought it. Very countryish. I quite like 'Gumbo'."

Favorite Track?

"Gumbo!"

How many stars out of five?

"Three stars for 'Gumbo'...the rest of it's kinda bland."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.
It means a lot when somebody is actually reading what you're writing!

Please come again :-)